Why you should join us
Our mission is to help children (ages 2-6) all around the world learn critical skills, affordably and effectively, from the world's best teachers. We teach more effectively than a live teacher, for a fraction of the price, making education scalable, effective, and accessible through asynchronous learning and communication. We've started with speaking English, and have already built the most effective, affordable and fun way to do so - all through a connected mobile or tablet.
Our people are a smart bunch, brought together by our mission. We work extremely hard to deliver on what is required. We can clearly see how our role plays a key part in the company's success and are super hungry to grow. We aim to consistently achieve great results, but if we don't, that's ok - we learn from our mistakes and progress forward. We're humble in our approach and are real team players. Collectively, we speak over eight languages in the team, and are spread across four hubs - London, Cardiff, Singapore and Shenzhen.
Our customers love what we do and advocate our mission. We ry care about their children's development, providing them with the critical skills that they need to succeed in life. Parents praise us and children love us - with some families already using Lingumi for over three years. And we're just getting started.
Our technology allows us to create innovative ways to teach children in innovative ways - we're working on ground breaking technology that will revolutionise how they learn. Children can connect to their friends and other children from around the world to learn together, as well as from their teacher.
Our investors and advisors range from Europe's best VC's, including Local Globe and ADV, to advisors such as Michael O'Sullivan, former CEO of Cambridge Assessment and the British Council in China.
How we get there
We’re on an exciting trajectory - over the last year we've gained incredible traction through the first course on our platform, and are rapidly scaling our customer base, particularly across mainland China, and Taiwan. However, our target is to teach 100 million children critical skills by 2025, so we're only just beginning!
We're now looking for our first Senior Design Manager with a background in UI design and/or UX research and design, to help take our Design team to the next level, building incredible user experiences and interfaces, and driving great designs across our products and the organisation. The role is suited to someone with hands-on management experience from a previous role, who sees themselves as a future leader within the company, but isn't afraid of rolling up their sleeves and getting their hands dirty.
Here's what you'll be doing
- Managing, leading and skilling up our design team of 4, ensuring that they execute across a well defined progression framework
- Creating, maintaining and managing a design-specific career development framework based on our current one focused on skills development
- Bringing a high level of consistency across all of our product design - creating a live set of guidelines that the team can follow, and a design vocabulary and library that levels up the quality and 'feel' of the product
- Running and organising design reviews
- Building incredible UI and UX across our products - As a manager you will still be doing a lot of hands-on work, so we want a do-er!
- Working strategically in the Product team to provide the best experiences for our users
- Creating a strong presence in the wider Design community, showcasing our work and ensuring we are best in class at designing products for families
- Evangelising Lingumi! You'll be able to communicate our biggest strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats across Design and UX
Here's what you must be/have
- Strong track record of designing great UI/UX and managing 2-3 designers successfully - all within the last five years
You're comfortable giving critical feedback, and aren't afraid to have difficult conversations to up-skill the team
- Highly motivated, and motivating - you need to be able to rally our team to buy into our quarterly plans and the product roadmap to deliver on our design goals
- Organised and decisive - we move fast, and are scaling a complex product. You need to be able to remain clear-headed, make strategic, fast decisions, and spin multiple plates
- Team-oriented and empathetic, with a natural ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds and languages
- An Entrepreneurial mindset - you will want to become a future leader in this growing and scaling organisation
- Feel a connection to our mission, want to be part of it and feel you can add significant value in the role you're applying for
- Based in Cardiff is a plus point however if you're from London, you will need to be based there once or twice a week
The benefits of working for Lingumi
- More than the free coffee in the office, we're driven by the joy of making a visible impact - every day we see videos and learning outcomes from families around the world whose lives your work will be directly changing for the better
- Flexible team and strong culture - we focus on getting stuff done over 'bums on seats', respect autonomous working time and focus, and have a diverse range of backgrounds and nationalities in our global team
- Offices in London, Cardiff, Singapore and Shenzhen, with plenty of opportunity to travel, see the rest of the team, and meet Lingumi families!
- A great package including stock options that give you meaningful ownership of the company along with a productivity budget, travel budget and pension scheme
- We work hard, but our hours are flexible - we have parents in the team, and people in 4 time zones, with a strong focus on asynchronous communication that we love
Every child deserves an equal chance in life. If you share our vision of building, inspiring and empowering the world's next generation of learners, apply to join our team today.